Saturday, November 25, 2006

A Good Week in Books

Not to be out done by my good friend Mr. Beldman who soaked up the book sales at SBL/AAR I wanted share my experience this week. First, I had contacted Canadian Mennonite about doing book reviews for them. So a couple of days ago I received two books. One is a revised edition of Gregory Baum's Religion and Alienation which is an exploration in the role of social theory in theology. The other book is Crystal Downing's How Postmodernism Serves (My) Faith. This book is a little less promising but still has some hopeful sections.
That same day I was nosing through a Goodwill store and came across these little jewels.
James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. $1.50
Not a spectacular find, but I like stocking the shelves with some classics.
David Richter, ed. The Critical Tradition 2d ed. $2.99
This is an extensive and relatively recent reader in critical theory. I was pleased.

And then the grand finale . . .
Paul Ricoeur, The Symbolism of Evil. $0.99

I actually did a double take when I saw this spine staring back at me. This find may gone as one of the all-time highlights in cheap used book finds.

Now comes finding the time to read them . . .

1 comment:

Dave said...

I consider myself thoroughly out done, Mr. Driedger!
I can't believe you stumbled upon Symbolism of Evil!
I love checking out the thrift store's book sections. I found a few gems one day--a pastor must have been unloading his library.
Sweet finds, Dave, now get reading.